The following are definitions commonly associated with indoor air quality.
Airborne particles include smoke, smog, bacteria, household dust, pet dander, mould spores, dust mite debris and pollen. These particles range in size between 0.3 to 100 microns. Considering that the average diameter of a human hair is 50 microns, these particles are so small that most pass through ordinary furnace filters and return to the air in your home. This can negatively impact your indoor air quality.
Chemical emissions are gases or particulates that have been released into the air.
The electrostatic charge of Filtrete™ Air Filters acts like a magnet to attract and capture particles that can pass through fibreglass filters or other non-charged pleated filters. A Filtrete™ Filter with electrostatically charged fibres performs better than non-electrostatic filters. The actual effectiveness of an air filter in allergen reduction depends on a variety of factors including the amount of air that the filter processes, the nature of the allergens and the rate at which the allergens are being introduced into the home. Electrostatic filters are most effective when new and clean.
HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. This is a rating system used by the Department of Energy to denote an air cleaner or filter that is 99.97% efficient or better at removing 0.3 micron-sized particles from the air passing through it.
One micron is one millionth of a metre or approximately 1/25,000 of an inch. For comparison, a human hair is 50-70 microns thick.
Parasitic cysts are egg-like sacs formed by the larva of a parasite. Sometimes found in unfiltered tap water, parasitic cysts can cause serious gastrointestinal infection and illness if consumed.
Smoke can be generated by cigarettes, cigars, wood burning stoves and fireplaces. In addition to several known carcinogens, smoke can contain fine particles composed of wood tars, gases, soot and ashes. While it can cause the typical allergic reaction like sneezing and runny nose, exposure to smoke can also cause burning eyes, bronchitis and even trigger asthma attacks to people who are sensitive.